Sunday, 12 August 2012

Vacation part 3: Rabbit Island

Ōkunoshima is a small island located in the Inland Sea of Japan near the city of Takehara, Hiroshima Prefecture
About Rabbit Island:
"Ōkunoshima, also known as Usagi Shima (Rabbit Island), is a small island with a dark history. Despite Japan signing the Geneva Protocol in 1925 to ban the use of Poison Gas, the island was home to a poison gas plant that made over six kilotons of mustard gas. The island was chosen for its secrecy and isolation and was even removed from some maps.
After the war, the poison was disposed of and the laboratory animals were set loose. With no natural predators native to the island, they quickly spread and now there are hundreds of tame rabbits roaming around. In 1988, the two room gas plant was converted into the Poison Gas Museum and opened to educate the Japanese people about the role the island played during the Second World War.
The island is also home to the Chusi Powerline Crossing, Japan's largest electricity pylon."
source

Another story of how the rabbits got there is that on a school trip some rabbits were brought to the island and left there. The rest is history. 

The rabbits on the island are super friendly and willingly come running up to you looking for treats.
We only spent a couple of hours here as the health resort located on the island is expensive. 









Check out grampa in the back :)


 Enjoying some soft serve ice cream in grape and vanilla after feeding the bunnies.

video

I would like to dedicate this to post to my bunny - Baby, who recently passed away.
I will miss you..

8 comments:

  1. I've heard about this place on tumblr.com. ;)
    Lol, I'm jealous. Great pictures!
    I loooove reading your blog. ;)
    -Bria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the lovely comment! This was probably my favorite part of our trip :) If you hadn't notice I sort of have a soft spot for bunnies hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so adorable! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this place.. looks like a great place for rabbit lovers! I love all of the pictures, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute, my sister would love this place! I've always wanted to go to Cat Island, but it seems like the only thing to do there is play with cats. And I am sorry for your loss...RIP Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the comment.
    Playing with cats wouldn't be so bad :) I guess that's why the cat cafe in Tokyo does so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a great place for me as I really do adore bunnies :)
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha.. I know right? I couldn't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...